INDOOR GARDENING : GARDENING : ENVIRONMENT: GLOBAL WARMING AND CLIMATE CHANGE: Blundering Gardener: Gardening Convinced Me of Climate Change

INDOOR GARDENING : GARDENING : ENVIRONMENT: GLOBAL WARMING AND CLIMATE CHANGE: Blundering Gardener: Gardening Convinced Me of Climate Change

David Dillard
Administrator

.

.

INDOOR GARDENING :

GARDENING :

ENVIRONMENT: GLOBAL WARMING AND CLIMATE CHANGE:

Blundering Gardener:

Gardening Convinced Me of Climate Change

.

.

Blundering Gardener:

Gardening Convinced Me of Climate Change

BONNIE BLODGETT

THE PIONEER PRESS

April 30, 2016

Twin Cities Pioneer Press

http://www.twincities.com/2016/04/30/
blundering-gardener-gardening-convinced-me-of-climate-change/

.

A shorter URL for the above link:

.

http://tinyurl.com/jyqarll

.

.

Rain, rain go away

.

Wait, what am I saying? Plants need sun, sure, but at this time of year
they need water more. So do our farms and forests.

.

Having said that, dang, Im excited to get going on all those chores that
really ought to be done now, before the trees fully leaf out. My
houseplants are craning the necks toward the window. They want out as much
as I do. Probably more.

.

I open windows on warm-enough days to get them used to the breezes theyll
have to deal with in the real world. Then we wait.

.

Speaking of leaf-out, Ive become fascinated with phenology. Thats the
study of how trees and shrubs respond to signs that spring is here.

.

Day length plays a big role, but an even more important signal to plants
is temperature. Thats why a warm winter can really mess things up  weve
all lost leaves or flowers or even whole plants to a late freeze that
kills tender new growth.

.

Scientists are looking to leaf-out timing for additional proof that global
warming is real and changing ecosystems. Plants that used to be perfectly
comfortable here in Zone 4 are starting to move north.

.

Obviously they cant do that as fast as a wild animal can. But when they
move, the animals either have to follow them or change their appetites.
More and more animals are moving to cities, just like humans are.

.

I wish wed stop acting like thats inevitable. I wish wed incentivize
people to go the opposite direction. Our heartland desperately needs more
small-scale organic farmers. Im hoping that soon everyone will be saying
about farming: thats where the good-paying jobs are!

.

.

.

.

Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584
[hidden email]
http://workface.com/e/daviddillard

Net-Gold
https://groups.io/g/Net-Gold
http://net-gold.3172864.n2.nabble.com/

AND Discussion Group Directory
http://tinyurl.com/ngda2hk

OR

RESEARCH PAPER WRITING
EMPLOYMENT
INTERNSHIPS
HOSPITALITY
DISABILITIES AND EMPLOYMENT
http://guides.temple.edu/c.php?g=134557
INDOOR GARDENING
https://groups.io/g/indoor-gardening
Educator-Gold
K12ADMINLIFE

PUBLIC HEALTH RESOURCES INCLUDING EBOLA

STATISTICS SOURCES RESEARCH GUIDE
http://guides.temple.edu/statistics-sources

Social Work and Social Issues Discussion Group
https://groups.io/g/social-work

Tourism Discussion Group
https://groups.io/g/Tourism

Digital Scholarship Discussion Group
https://groups.io/g/DigitalScholarship/threads
https://listserv.temple.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=DIGITAL-SCHOLARSHIP
https://digitalscholarshipandscholarlypublication.wordpress.com/

Copyright Research Guide
http://guides.temple.edu/copyright-plagiarism
Fair Use
http://guides.temple.edu/fair-use

Blog
https://educatorgold.wordpress.com/

Articles by David Dillard

http://tinyurl.com/78a4shn

Nina Dillard's Photographs on Net-Gold
http://www.flickr.com/photos/neemers/

Twitter: davidpdillard

Temple University Site Map

Bushell, R. & Sheldon, P. (eds),
David P. Dillard
http://tinyurl.com/o4pn4o9

Rail Transportation

INDOOR GARDENING

SPORT-MED

.

.

Please Ignore All Links to JIGLU
Temple University Listserv Alert :
Years 2009 and 2010 Eliminated from Archives

.

.