[webdev] Web Design Update: February 9, 2017

[webdev] Web Design Update: February 9, 2017

David Dillard
Administrator

.

.

Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2017 06:16:03 -0600
From: Laura Carlson <[hidden email]>
To: webdev <[hidden email]>
Subject: [webdev] Web Design Update: February 9, 2017

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.

- Volume 15, Issue 33, February 9, 2017.

design and development.

++ISSUE 33 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.

New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.

02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

03: EVALUATION & TESTING.

04: EVENTS.

05: HTML5.

06: INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE.

07: JAVASCRIPT.

08: NAVIGATION.

09: TOOLS.

10: TYPOGRAPHY.

11: USABILITY.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

Operational Overhead Caused by Horizontal Scrolling Text

By Wayne E. Dick.

"...ZOOM in our example above took 17 scrolls to read 9 lines at 300%.
WRAP at 300% took 1. WRAP for 700% took 7 scrolls. That is more than
twice the enlargement with fewer scrolls. Given this gross imbalance
in overhead between the two methods, I find it very difficult to call
ZOOM accessibility support or reasonable accommodation for digital
information documents that contain blocks of text..."

http://nosetothepage.org/Fitz/2dScroll.html

Maintaining Accessibility in a Responsive World

By Scott Jehl.

"At Filament Group, our primary concern has long been to build sites
that are accessible to as many people as possible..."

https://www.filamentgroup.com/lab/accessible-responsive.html

Spectator of Screen Reader? Tools For You

By Rakesh Paladugula.

"Testing with a screen reader is one of the major activities while
making a website accessible..."

http://www.maxability.co.in/2017/02/
spectator-of-screen-reader-tools-for-you/

The Art of Labeling (Video)

By Rob Dodson.

"...today, we're going to be talking about the importance that
labeling can play in your applications..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dCUzOiMRy4

How to Create Content That Works Well with Screen Readers

By Léonie Watson.

"...Here's a closer look at how screen readers respond to content, and
what it means for the people creating that content..."

https://accessibility.blog.gov.uk/2017/02/08/
advice-for-creating-content-that-works-well-with-screen-readers/

We Need to Talk about Accessibility on Chatbots

By Caio Calado.

"What happens when a blind person wants to use your chatbot?..."

https://uxdesign.cc/
we-need-to-talk-about-accessibility-on-chatbots-98cf93c54963

Section 508 Refresh (Video)

By Bruce Bailey and Tim Creagan.

This February 2, 2017 webinar reviewed a final rule recently issued by
the U.S. Access Board to refresh its accessibility requirements.

https://www.accessibilityonline.org/ao/archives/110588

New Baseline for Accessibility

By Carl Straumsheim.

"Disability rights experts say an update to the Rehabilitation Act
creates new expectations for accessibility standards in higher
education."

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2017/02/03/experts-say-
rehabilitation-act-refresh-sets-new-baseline-accessibility-standards

Executive Order Likely Dooms Website Regulations for Public Accommodations

By Minh Vu.

"An executive order from President Trump will likely halt the Justice
Department's public accommodations website rulemaking."

http://www.adatitleiii.com/2017/02/executive-order-likely-
dooms-website-regulations-for-public-accommodations/

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Avoid Default Browser Focus Styles

By Adrian Roselli.

"...Do not rely on the browser default. Maybe make sure your novel
styles account for Windows High Contrast Mode too."

http://adrianroselli.com/2017/02/avoid-default-browser-focus-styles.html

CSS Pseudo-classes: :not() and :target

By Simon Mackie.

"...In this section, we'll cover some esoteric and lesser-known
pseudo-classes with a focus on what is available in browsers:
child-indexed and typed child-indexed pseudo-classes, and input
pseudo-classes..."

https://www.sitepoint.com/css-selectors-not-target/

CSS Pseudo-classes: Styling Form Fields Based on Their Input

By Tiffany Brown.

"...Let's take a look at some pseudo-classes that are specific to form
fields and form field input..."

https://www.sitepoint.com/css-pseudo-
classes-styling-form-fields-based-on-their-input/

+03: EVALUATION & TESTING.

The Beginners' Guide to Contextual Interviewing

By David Travis.

"Running a good customer interview is a fundamental step you'll take
in trying to understand your users' needs, goals and behaviours. You
can learn a lot from any customer conversation, such as a 'pop up'
interview in a café or library, but you'll learn even more by running
the interview in context: in your user's home or workplace."

http://userfocus.co.uk/articles/
the_beginners_guide_to_contextual_interviewing.html

10 Best Practices for Graphing and Displaying Data

By Jeff Sauro.

"...Here are 10 best practices (and what to watch for) that we've
compiled from our own experiences graphing and displaying data as well
as recommendations from well-known data visualization authors..."

http://measuringu.com/graphing-displaying-data/

+04: EVENTS.

Expanding Accessibility in Biotechnology
February 14, 2017.
Ottawa, Canada
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/expanding-
accessibility-in-biotechnology-ottawa-tickets-31222185397

Web Accessibility Training
May 2-3, 2017.
Logan, Utah, U.S.A.
http://webaim.org/training/

OSCON
May 8-11, 2017.
Austin, Texas, U.S.A.
http://conferences.oreilly.com/oscon/oscon-tx

+05: HTML5.

Get Rid of Your Tables (or Fix Them)

By Andrea Fercia.

"...In the HTML5 specification, the table element is under a section
named 'Tabular data'. The specification doesn't define what 'tabular
data' is, but one thing is very clear: HTML tables are meant to
represent data..."

https://yoast.com/dev-blog/get-rid-of-your-tables-or-fix-them/

+06: INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE.

Information Architecture: The Structure Behind Your User Interface

By Nathaniel Davis.

"...With today's complex landscape of human-digital experiences, it is
necessary to be mindful of the importance of structure-and its
relationship to the practice of information architecture..."

http://www.uxmatters.com/mt/archives/2017/02/
information-architecture-the-structure-behind-your-user-interface.php

+07: JAVASCRIPT.

The JavaScript Standard

By Nicolás Bevacqua.

"This is an excerpt extracted from the first chapter in Practical ES6..."

https://ponyfoo.com/articles/standard

+08: NAVIGATION.

Remote Customer Journey Mapping

By Kate Kaplan.

"Digital tools help distributed teams compile journey maps into
digital formats, collaborate synchronously, and integrate external
data in their journey maps."

https://www.nngroup.com/articles/remote-customer-journey-mapping/

+09: TOOLS.

Type Scale - A Visual Calculator

By Jeremy Church.

"Preview and choose the right type scale for your project..."

http://type-scale.com/

+10: TYPOGRAPHY.

Web Fonts: Power Up! (Video)

By Chris Lilley.

"Filmed at the dotCSS conference on December 2nd in Paris."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBz54Wt65Fs

+11: USABILITY.

The Current State of Homepage and Category UX (Performance Is Up 39% Since 2013)

By Baymard Institute.

"Today we're launching version 2.0 of our Homepage & Category
Usability study, based on a new round of usability benchmarking of the
top 50 grossing US e-commerce sites..."

https://baymard.com/blog/current-state-of-ecommerce-category-ux

The UX Audit: A Beginner's Guide

By Cassandra Naji.

"...A User Experience Audit (UX Audit) is a way to pinpoint
less-than-perfect areas of a digital product, revealing which parts of
a site or app are causing headaches for users and stymieing
conversions..."

http://usabilitygeek.com/ux-audit-beginners-guide/

The State of UX Agile Development

By Hoa Loranger and Page Laubheimer.

"New research shows UX making strides in infusing user-centered design
approaches into Agile development processes. Tips for making UX Agile
work in your organization."

https://www.nngroup.com/articles/state-ux-agile-development/

I Don't Need Help

By Neha Singh.

"We have no excuse...admit it. UX may brag about intuitive and pretty,
but we sure suck at helping people-this one thing that most defines,
most embodies great user experience."

http://alistapart.com/article/i-dont-need-help

What is Omnichannel UX? (Video)

By Kim Flaherty.

"Kim discusses why looking at the customer user experience through an
Omnichannel lens is important for business."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhmu0XUaTuM

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation & Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites & Blogs Listing.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines.  Please let me

http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson