[webdev] Web Design Update: June 22, 2017

[webdev] Web Design Update: June 22, 2017

David Dillard
Administrator

.

.

Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2017 06:23:55 -0500
From: Laura Carlson <[hidden email]>
To: webdev <[hidden email]>
Subject: [webdev] Web Design Update: June 22, 2017

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.

- Volume 15, Issue 52, June 22, 2017.

design and development.

++ISSUE 52 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.

New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.

02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

03: DRUPAL.

04: EVENTS.

05: INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE.

06: MISCELLANEOUS.

07: NAVIGATION.

08: TOOLS.

09: USABILITY.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

Why You Have No Excuse to Not Caption Your Videos

By Deborah Edwards-Onoro.

"...It was a pleasure to chat with him (Dave Foy) about videos,
captioning, and the process he used to make his videos accessible to
everyone. Here's our conversation..."

https://www.lireo.com/why-you-have-no-excuse-to-not-caption-videos/

Where Do We Go From Here? Web Accessibility Across 3 National Systems (Video)

By Cyndi Rowland and George Joeckel.

"...when you're thinking about the fact that there are 62 UCEDDs
(University Centers of Excellence in Developmental Disabilities) and
the fact that of that, 53 of them had so many errors that they would
have received a D or an F, we've got a crisis..."

http://www.3playmedia.com/resources/webinars/webaim-research-06-08-2017/

Screen Size, Resolution and Zoom. Oh My.

By Wendy Chisholm.

"...We're still debating what this means for us. However, it's clear
that the way we had been testing for WCAG 2.0 1.4.4 Resize Text was
not sufficiently catching all of the issues our customers have been
experiencing..."

http://sp1ral.com/2017/06/screen-size-resolution-and-zoom-oh-my/

Adobe Continues to Improve on Making PDFs Accessible

By Rob Haverty.

"Creating accessible PDF documents is an important and yet sometimes
challenging process. Depending upon the accessibility of the original
source document there may be many steps involved in making the PDF
version accessible..."

https://blogs.adobe.com/documentcloud/
adobe-continues-to-improve-on-making-pdfs-accessible/

Exposing the Myths Behind the 7 Sins of Accessibility

By Media Access Australia.

"Recent conversations between Media Access Australia and some of the
country's top marketing executives have revealed fascinating insights
about their perspectives on digital accessibility - and why
unfortunately it's still not considered a priority for most."

http://www.mediaaccess.org.au/digitalaccessibilityservices/
exposing-the-myths-behind-the-7-sins-of-accessibility/

How Can I Make My Icon System Accessible?

By Chris Coyier.

"...The accessibility question is the interesting bit, so let's cover that..."

https://css-tricks.com/can-make-icon-system-accessible/

6 Web Accessibility Takeaways from the Winn-Dixie Accessibility Decision

By Ken Nakata.

"...1.) Don't deny anybody access to your goods and services., 2.)
Adopt and implement a web accessibility policy. 3.) Let your users ask
questions and discuss problems (and answer them). 4.) Hold your
third-party vendors to the same standards as you do yourself. 5.)
Train your employees regularly. 6.) Maintain the quality over time
through periodic testing..."

http://insight.cryptzone.com/accessibility/
6-web-accessibility-takeaways-winn-dixie-accessibility-decision/

First-of-its-kind Trial Goes Plaintiff's Way; Winn-Dixie Ordered to

Update Website for the Blind

By John O'Brien.

"...a Florida federal judge has ruled for a blind man who has filed
nearly 70 lawsuits alleging that various companies' websites violate
the Americans with Disabilities Act..."

http://legalnewsline.com/stories/511127037-
first-of-its-kind-trial-goes-plaintiff-s-way-
winn-dixie-ordered-to-update-website-for-the-blind

Why Did Winn Dixie Lose the Accessibility Lawsuit?

By Kim Krause Berg.

"...the trial found a 'nexus' between Winn Dixie’s physical store and
its website that would place the website within the ADA's reach. The
rights of disabled persons fall under the ADA of 1990, which in short
says that all stores must be accessible..."

https://creativevisionwebconsulting.com/
winndixie-lose-accessibility-lawsuit/

Historic Federal Court Ruling: Inaccessible Websites Violate Title III

of the ADA

By Patrick Loftus.

"...This ruling opens up the possibility that any website owned by an
organization considered a public accommodation can now be found in
violation of the ADA by a federal court if the website is not fully
accessible to the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0 Level AA
standards (WCAG 2.0 AA)..."

http://www.3playmedia.com/2017/06/15/winn-dixie-ada-title-iii-ruling/

Winn-Dixie Decision in Florida Sets Landmark Precedent in Digital
Accessibility

By Charles Paul Hoffman.

"...interesting takeaway from the case is how easily litigation could
have been avoided if Winn-Dixie had been proactive in considering
accessibility when building its website..."

https://www.ssbbartgroup.com/blog/winn-dixie-decision-sets-precedent/

Interesting Details From Winn-Dixie Legal Ruling

By Kelly Ford.

"...Reading through the full document, a few interesting tidbits of
information jumped out at me. I'm always interested in the dollars and
cents of accessibility costs..."

http://blog.kellyford.org/interesting-
details-from-winn-dixie-legal-ruling/

Landmark Web Accessibility Ruling in U.S.

By Dennis Lembree.

"The estimated cost of $250,000 to make the website accessible was not
consider by the court as an undue burden and 'pales in comparison to
the $2 million Winn-Dixie spent in 2015 to open the website and the $7
million it spent in 2016 to remake the website for the Plenti
program.'..."

http://www.webaxe.org/landmark-web-accessibility-ruling-in-u-s/

Blind Plaintiff Prevails in First-of-Its-Kind ADA Website
Accessibility Trial against Grocery Store Chain

By JD Supra.

"...the court found the fact that third party vendors, such as Google
and American Express, operate certain parts of the Winn-Dixie website
is not a legal impediment to Winn-Dixie's obligation to make its
website accessible to the disabled..."

http://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/
blind-plaintiff-prevails-in-first-of-71995/

Judge Backs Making Consumer Websites Accessible to Blind

By Sara Randazzo.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/judges-ruling-aids-
push-to-make-consumer-websites-accessible-to-blind-1497382218

A Blind Customer Couldn't Use Winn-Dixie's Website. He Sued. Changes
Are Coming...

By Andrea Januta.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/article155927249.html

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Building Production-Ready CSS Grid Layouts Today

By Morten Rand-Hendriksen.

"Industries often experience evolution less as slow and steady
progress than as revolutionary shifts in modality that change best
practices and methodologies seemingly overnight..."

https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2017/06/
building-production-ready-css-grid-layout/#comment-1297216

Oh No! Our Stylesheet Only Grows and Grows and Grows! (The Append-Only

Stylesheet Problem)

By Chris Coyier.

"This is a real worry these days..."

https://css-tricks.com/oh-no-stylesheet-grows-grows-grows-append-stylesheet-problem/

Handling Long and Unexpected Content in CSS

By Ahmad Shadeed.

"...In this article, we will go through different UI bugs from
real-world websites so we can account for them from the beginning..."

https://css-tricks.com/handling-long-unexpected-content-css/

What Does a Well-Documented CSS Codebase Look Like?

By Kaloyan Kosev.

"...A well-documented CSS codebase enforces consistency, boosts
maintainability, and helps the team to build a shared vocabulary...

https://css-tricks.com/well-documented-css-codebase-look-like/

+03: DRUPAL.

Accessibility in the Age of the Headless CMS

By Rian Rietveld.

"...I will start with how to safeguard the quality of your code in the
frontend, after that how to handle dynamic changes in the content for
screen readers and will finish with some ideas about performance and
usability..."

http://rianrietveld.com/2017/06/09/wceu17/

+04: EVENTS.

Accessible Word Documents 101 Series
June 22, July 6, and July 20, 2017.
http://info.ssbbartgroup.com/WebinarNon-TextElements-MSWord_LP-Main.html

Are You at Legal Risk... Because of Winn-Dixie?
Tuesday, July 11, 2017.
Online
http://info.ssbbartgroup.com/0711-Webinar-Because-of-Winn-Dixie.html

Digital Summit Minneapolis
August 14-15, 2017.
Minneapolis, Minnesota, U.S.A.
http://minneapolis.digitalsummit.com/

W3C Publishing Summit
November 9-10, 2017.
San Francisco, California, U.S.A.
https://www.w3.org/publishing/events/summit2017

The Open Mobile Summit
November 29-30, 2017.
San Francisco, California, U.S.A.
http://openmobilemedia.com/san-francisco/

+05: INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE.

Replacing 'Requirements Gathering' with Something That Works

By Jared M. Spool.

"I've seen the box on the project schedule a hundred times. It always
has the same label: 'Gather Requirements'. And it's always remarkably
short-scheduled for just a day or two..."

https://articles.uie.com/requirements_gathering/

+06: MISCELLANEOUS.

Toolbars, Keyboards, and the Viewports

By Peter-Paul Koch.

"...Today's article studies what happens when these viewports change
size. It also studies the resize event..."

http://www.quirksmode.org/blog/archives/2017/06/toolbars_keyboa.html

Slides from WordCamp Europe

By Adrian Roselli.

This post is just a stub for now so that you can access my slides
during my talk. Later on I will add some links, tweets, and some of
the animated GIFs I use in the slides (since they do not display in
SlideShare).

http://adrianroselli.com/2017/06/slides-from-wordcamp-europe.html

The Web Is Not A Glorified USB Stick

By Phil Archer.

Phil Archer's slides from OAI 10 - The CERN - UNIGE Workshop on
Innovations in Scholarly Communication that was held at University of
Geneva June 21-23.

https://www.w3.org/2017/Talks/0621-phila-oai/

+07: NAVIGATION.

When to Hide and Show Navigation

By Gerry McGovern.

"Hide navigation when it is disruptive to the journey the customer is
on. Show navigation when it is supportive to the journey the customer
is on."

http://gerrymcgovern.com/when-to-hide-and-show-navigation/

+08: TOOLS.

Top Seven Free Color Contrast Checkers and Analyzers

By Hampus Sethfors.

"Here are seven great free tools that help you measure color contrasts
and create beautiful, accessible color schemes that fulfill the
contrast requirements in the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines
(WCAG)..."

https://axesslab.com/top-color-contrast-checkers/

+09: USABILITY.

ICONS #16: Léonie Watson (Video)

By Léonie Watson.

"What Does User Experience Mean When You're Blind?..."

https://vimeo.com/222490579

Dashboards: Making Charts and Graphs Easier to Understand

By Page Laubheimer.

"Visualizations should leverage human cognition and use length and 2D
position to communicate quantitative information quickly."

https://www.nngroup.com/articles/dashboards-preattentive/

Your Website is Too Cluttered. Here's Why You Need to Fix It.

By Rory Gallagher.

"...clutter leads to increased cognitive load which results in more
visual confusion and frustration. Eliminating unnecessary content is
thereby an effective way to mitigate cognitive load, but also results
in a powerful side effect -- increased focus on the important elements
still left in the design..."

http://www.eyequant.com/blog/is-my-website-too-cluttered

Z-Shaped Pattern For Reading Web Content

By Nick Babich.

"It is easy to imagine every user excitedly reading every letter you
write. Get over it, because users don't do that. They scan..."

https://uxplanet.org/z-shaped-pattern-for-reading-web-content-ce1135f92f1c

Stay Away From These Annoying Design Trends in 2017

By INKONIQ.

"...Here are a few annoying trends that should straight away go to the trash..."

https://medium.com/inkoniq-blog/stay-away-from-
these-annoying-design-trends-in-2017-a0451a8ac866

My Complete Guide: How to Ensure User Experience is a Priority for Your Company

By Paul Boag.

"As user experience professionals we want the companies for whom we
work to be more user centric. But building a user-centric culture is
hard. This guide will get you started..."

https://boagworld.com/usability/user-experience-culture/

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation & Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites & Blogs Listing.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines.  Please let me

http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson