[webdev] Web Design Update: March 8, 2018

[webdev] Web Design Update: March 8, 2018

David Dillard
Administrator

.

.

Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2018 05:03:37 -0600
From: Laura Carlson <[hidden email]>
To: webdev <[hidden email]>
Subject: [webdev] Web Design Update: March 8, 2018

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.

- Volume 16, Issue 37, March 8, 2018.

An email newsletter to distribute news and information about web design and development.

++ISSUE 37 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.

New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.

02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

03: EVALUATION & TESTING.

04: EVENTS.

05: JAVASCRIPT.

06: MISCELLANEOUS.

07: NAVIGATION.

08: TYPOGRAPHY.

09: USABILITY.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

WCAG 2.1: Success Criteria for Cognitive Disabilities

By Kurt Mattes.

"…In the Candidate Recommendation dated January 30, 2018, two of these 11
Success Criteria are at Level A and six are at Level AA. For organizations
wishing to reach for Level AAA, three additional Success Criteria are
covered at the end of this post…"

https://developer.paciellogroup.com/blog/2018/03/
wcag-2-1-success-criteria-for-cognitive-disabilitie s/

The New Guidelines in WCAG 2.1 Explained

By Alexander Skogberg.

"In the Summer of 2018, WCAG 2.0 will be updated to version 2.1 with new
guidelines for making websites even more accessible. In this post I'll try
to give simple explanations of these guidelines along with thoughts and
advice on how to follow them…"

https://alexanderskogberg.com/2018/02/new-guidelines-wcag-2-1-explained/

WCAG 2.1: Writing a Recommendation

By Audrey Maniez.

"With the advent of WCAG 2.1 in the global accessibility landscape, the
promises were ambitious. The new criteria, many and sometimes so
unrealistic, have attracted the wrath of some renowned actors in the
field…"

https://access42.net/wcag-2-1

Your Interactive Makes Me Sick

By Eileen Webb.

"Why your coolest scrolly features can cause problems, and what to do
about it accessibility scrolling migraines are terrible motion…"

https://source.opennews.org/articles/motion-sick/

Why Aren't We Doing This Already? : What I've Learned About Accessibility
in the Tech Industry

By Rachel Williamson.

"…I would like to share what I've learned about accessibility as it exists
right now in the tech industry…"

https://medium.com/@rachel.williamson/
why-arent-we-doing-this-already-what-i-ve-learned-
about-accessibility-in-the-tech-industry-927a0e1d72d9

Accessible By Design

By Andrew Spencer.

"…Andrew shares what to think about and tools to use when creating a
visually accessible web…"

https://seesparkbox.com/foundry/accessible_by_design

Overly Accessible?

By Jared Smith.

"…Yes, if you think of accessibility as code practices and techniques,
then these can be overdone resulting in a less than optimal end user
experience. But if you think of accessibility as being that end user
experience, then no, you can't make a site overly accessible because those
accessibility improvements would inherently benefit everyone."

https://webaim.org/blog/overly-accessible/

YouTube Live Gains Automatic Captions, Chat Replay and More

By Sarah Perez.

"YouTube today announced several new features designed to improve the live
streaming experience for both creators and viewers…"

https://techcrunch.com/2018/02/26/
youtube-live-gains-automatic-captions-chat-replay-and-more/

Officials Examine Website Accessibility Amid Federal Disability
Investigation

By Leah Potter.

"As the Department of Education investigates George Washington University
(GW) for alleged disability discrimination based on the accessibility of
its websites, officials say they've formed a task force to examine the
issue…"

https://www.gwhatchet.com/2018/01/29/
officials-examine-website-accessibility-amid-federal-disability
-investigation/

Blind Woman Sues TD Ameritrade Over Allegedly Inaccessible Website

By Jed Horowitz.

"A woman in New York State has filed a class-action lawsuit against TD
Ameritrade claiming that the discount brokerage firm's website and some of
its trading software is inaccessible through screen reader vocalization
software and other standard tools used by the blind and visually
impaired."

https://advisorhub.com/blind-woman-
sues-td-ameritrade-allegedly-inaccessible-website/

ADA Suit Against 1-800-Flowers.com Blooms

By Richard P. Lawson.

"Demonstrating the minefield facing online retailers, the U.S. District
Court, District of Massachusetts refused to dismiss an Americans with
Disabilities Act (ADA) accessibility suit filed against
1-800-Flowers.com…"

https://www.lexology.com/library/
detail.aspx?g=c913b37a-e010-4404-b1b9-b2ce8b85ed92

H.R. 620 Will Not Prevent Drive-By Accessibility Lawsuits Because It Does
Not Address Website Accessibility

By Kim Krause Berg.

"There are many conflicts with the recent vote to pass H.R. 620 of the ADA
by the House of Representatives. The most alarming is requiring a law
where one already exists."

https://creativevisionwebconsulting.com/
h-r-620-will-not-prevent-drive-accessibility-
lawsuits-not-address-website-accessibility/

Gratitude for a Poached Egg (an Accessibility and Negotiation Strategy)

By Lainey Feingold.

"…a strategy for moving negotiations and accessibility forward."

http://www.lflegal.com/2018/03/gratitude/

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

We Write CSS Like We Did in the 90s, and Yes, It's Silly

By Jens Oliver Meiert.

"The tools web developers use to build websites have changed dramatically
since the 1990s. But when it comes to the craft of writing CSS, Jens
Meiert argues, it often seems that we haven't learned anything over the
past 20 years. Meiert discusses why that is and offers his thoughts on how
spending more time thinking about the basics can bring the writing of CSS
into the 21st century."

http://alistapart.com/article/
we-write-css-like-we-did-in-the-90s-and-yes-its-silly

Third Party CSS is Not Safe

By Jake Archibald.

"A few days ago there was a lot of chatter about a 'keylogger' built in
CSS.…"

https://jakearchibald.com/2018/third-party-css-is-not-safe/

+03: EVALUATION & TESTING.

The Line to Say in Usability Testing to Get Honest Feedback

By Karah Salaets.

"…My job is to help the client make this as amazing as possible. We've had
some ideas already. And when we brainstormed, we put all our ideas in the
design without judgement. You will help me figure out which ideas are
great, which are duds, and come up with new ideas we didn't think of…"

http://uxmovement.com/thinking/
the-line-to-say-in-usability-testing-to-get-honest-feedback/

A Comprehensive Guide To User Testing

By Christopher Murphy.

"…In this article, I'll be focusing on usability testing, where we
evaluate the design decisions we have made against a representative set of
users to test if our assumptions are correct…"

https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2018/03/guide-user-testing/

How to Turn User Videos into Insights

By Jeff Sauro.

"Finding and fixing usability problems in an interface leads to a better
user experience…"

https://measuringu.com/user-videos-insights/

+04: EVENTS.

Assistive Technology 101 April 6, 2018. Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S.A.
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/assistive-technology-101-tickets-43613381799
Online at: https://www.eastersealstech.com/live

Accessible by Design May 8, 2018. Bloomington, Indiana, U.S.A.
https://accessiblebydesign.org/

Web Accessibility Training May 8-9, 2018. Logan, Utah, U.S.A.
https://webaim.org/training/

php[tek] 2018 May 31-June 1, 2018. Atlanta, Georgia, U.S.A.
https://tek.phparch.com/

HCI International 2017 July 15-20, 2018. Los Vegas, Nevada, U.S.A.
http://2018.hci.international/index.php

eduWeb July 23-25, 2018. San Diego, California, U.S.A.
http://eduwebconf.com/

Event Apart Washington DC July 30-August 1, 2018. Washington DC, U.S.A.
https://aneventapart.com/event/washington-dc-2018

Web Directions Code August 2-3 2018. Melbourne, Australia
http://www.webdirections.org/code/

+05: JAVASCRIPT.

aria-keyshortcuts (property)

By Rakesh Paladugula.

"The aria-keyshortcuts property informs the screen reader user the
shortcuts developer implemented to activate or focus an element on the web
page or an application…"

http://www.maxability.co.in/2018/03/aria-keyshortcuts-property/

8 Tips for Improving Bootstrap Accessibility

By Rhiana Heath.

"A few years ago, I wrote about my experiences on developing a Bootstrap
version 3 project to be fully accessible for people with disabilities.
This focussed mostly on Bootstrap accessibility in terms of front-end
design…"

https://www.sitepoint.com/making-bootstrap-accessible/

Notifications

By Heydon Pickering.

"The key difference between a website and a web app is… highly contested…"

https://inclusive-components.design/notifications/

Creating Accessible React Apps (Video)

By Scott Vinkle.

"The React JavaScript library is a great way to create reusable modular
components that can be shared among projects. But how do you ensure your
React apps are usable by all kinds of people? Scott Vinkle will share tips
on how to build your React apps with accessibility baked-in…"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Twm-cq_E2A

+06: MISCELLANEOUS.

A11y Rules Podcast Episode 30 - Interview with Glenda Sims - Part 2

By Nicolas Steenhout.

"Glenda speaks of the importance of mentoring "fresh blood" in the
accessibility field. She also explains how she gets frustrated by
accessibility going forward two steps, and backwards one step.…"

https://www.patreon.com/posts/a11y-rules-30-2-17067471

+07: NAVIGATION.

Accessible Landmarks

By Scott O'Hara.

"Landmarks can be useful to screen reader users as they can be used to
help orient a user to, and easily navigate, an appropriately structured
web page or application screen…"

http://www.scottohara.me/blog/2018/03/03/landmarks.html

The Most Powerful Words are Often Not Searched For

By Gerry McGovern.

"…Getting your words right in your menus and links will have a greater
positive impact on customer experience than any other initiative you will
undertake."

http://gerrymcgovern.com/the-most-powerful-
words-are-often-not-searched-for/

+08: TYPOGRAPHY.

Serif, Sans, Script & Slab: 4 Font Types Explained

By Carrie Cousins.

"Always wanted to know the difference between serif, sans, script, and
slab fonts? Look no further. Take your typography game to the next level,
and quit guessing if certain typefaces or font pairs work together. Back
your logic with a little design theory…"

https://designshack.net/articles/typography/
font-types-explained-serif-sans-script-slab/

+09: USABILITY.

Back to Static: a Paradigm Shift for Better UX and Web Performance

By Boris Schapira.

"For several years now, a new range of solutions have emerged in the web
technologies landscape…"

https://blog.dareboost.com/en/2018/02/static-website-web-performance/

The Principle of Commitment and Behavioral Consistency

By Therese Fessenden.

"Getting users to make a small commitment and follow up on it can increase
engagement with content."

https://www.nngroup.com/articles/commitment-consistency-ux/

What Web Designers Need to Know About Hick's Law

By uxplanet.

"Hick's Law guides UX designers to create effortless user experiences.
Here's how to apply the law to your UX design…"

https://uxplanet.org/what-web-designers-need-
to-know-about-hicks-law-4601b7dc0470

Fitts' Law: Tracking Users' Clicks

By Mads Soegaard.

"…Understanding Fitts' Law (sometimes called Fitts's Law) will give you a
key to unlock another dimension in designing…"

https://www.interaction-design.org/literature/
article/fitts-law-tracking-users-clicks

Steve Jobs on 6 Key Principles of User Experience

By David Travis.

A good quotation can be a powerful communication tool. And Steve Jobs,
perhaps history's best design communicator, left us with some profound
words. Jobs had an intuitive understanding of great design and user
experience as these quotations show."

https://www.userfocus.co.uk/articles/
Steve-Jobs-on-6-key-principles-of-ux.html

Describing UX to Family and Friends (Video)

By Nielsen Norman Group.

"Do you ever find it challenging to explain to people what you do for a
living? See how other UX professionals do it."

https://www.nngroup.com/videos/describing-ux-family-and-friends/

3 UX Tips for Better Newsletters and Marketing Emails (Video)

By Kim Flaherty.

"Your customers want email newsletters that provide immediate utility.
Thoughtful layout, image choices, and formatting will help you win over
customers on your mailing list."

https://www.nngroup.com/videos/newsletters-marketing-emails/

E-Commerce UX: Post-Process Vendor-Supplied Product Data (52% Don't)

By Edward Scott.

"Product specifications, whether they appear in a dedicated spec sheet, in
a product list item, or as filters, are crucial to some users'
product-purchasing decision…"

https://baymard.com/blog/post-process-product-data

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation & Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites & Blogs Listing.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

WEB DESIGN UPDATE is available by subscription. For information on how to
subscribe and unsubscribe please visit:

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

As a navigation aid for screen readers we do our best to conform to the accessible Text Email
Newsletter (TEN) guidelines. Please let me know if there is anything else we can do to make
navigation easier. For TEN guideline information please visit:
http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson