[webdev] Web Design Update: October 12, 2017

[webdev] Web Design Update: October 12, 2017

David Dillard
Administrator

.

Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2017 06:36:36 -0500
From: Laura Carlson <[hidden email]>
To: webdev <[hidden email]>
Subject: [webdev] Web Design Update: October 12, 2017

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.

- Volume 16, Issue 16, October 12, 2017.

design and development.

++ISSUE 16 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.

New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.

02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

03: EVALUATION & TESTING.

04: EVENTS.

05: JAVASCRIPT.

06: MISCELLANEOUS.

07: TOOLS.

08: USABILITY.

09: XML.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

A Practical Guide to Improving Web Accessibility

By Cynthia Ng.

"This article is intended to provide guidance on making library
websites and other digital content accessible within the constraints
of most organizations' technological environments…"

https://quod.lib.umich.edu/w/weave/12535642.0001.701?view=text;rgn=main

Q&A: Video Accessibility at the University of Washington

By Elisa Edelberg.

"Terill Thompson, Sheryl Burgstahler, and Doug Hayman from the
University of Washington's office of Accessible Technology Services
describe their multi-faceted approach to video accessibility…"

http://www.3playmedia.com/2017/10/06/
qa-video-accessibility-at-the-university-of-washington/

VPAT 2.0 for Section 508, WCAG 2.0 and En301 549

By Rakesh Paladugula.

"Voluntary Product Accessibility Template 2.0 (VPAT 2.0) is updated by
Information Technology Industry Council ITICExternal Website…"

http://www.maxability.co.in/2017/10/vpat20/

Building Your Core Accessibility Team in 5 Steps

By Dennis Lembree.

"Building a core accessibility team is often a major difference in the
success or failure of many accessibility initiatives…"

https://www.deque.com/blog/steps-build-core-accessibility-team/

Inclusive Design 24 Returns November 16

By Deborah Edwards-Onoro.

"…Focused on all things accessibility, Inclusive Design 24 (ID24) is a
free 24-hour online community event, hosted by The Paciello Group…"
https://www.lireo.com/inclusive-design-24-returns-november-16/

College Websites Must Accommodate Disabled Students, Lawsuits Say

By Vivian Wang.

"The lawsuits came one after the other, against Fordham University,
Manhattan College, Long Island University and other area colleges and
universities. In all, eight suits have been filed in federal court in
Manhattan over the past two weeks, most recently against Hofstra
University on Long Island on Oct. 4…"

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/11/
nyregion/college-websites-disabled.html

What the Blick Art Materials Case Means for Corporate Website Accessibility

By Patrick Loftus.

"On August 1, a judge in the Eastern District of New York allowed a
class action website accessibility lawsuit against Blick Art
Materials, LLC to move forward marking a big win for disability rights
advocates…"

http://www.3playmedia.com/2017/10/05/what-the-blick-art-materials-
case-means-for-corporate-website-accessibility/

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

A Tale of Four Properties

By Chris Coyier.

"This is a talk I've given at a couple of conferences recently. It's
about four different properties in CSS: 1) shape-outside,
2.)offset-path, 3.)clip-path, 4.) d…"

https://css-tricks.com/video-screencasts/157-tale-four-properties/

A Fearless Guide to Using CSS Grid Today

By Brenda Storer.

"I know you've been burned before with tales of exciting new CSS
specifications that won't be ready to use in production for years. I'm
here to tell you, those days are in our past and the brightest example
of our future is with CSS Grid! You can absolutely use it now, and in
this article, I'll show you how without much fuss or the need for any
external dependencies…"

https://www.heartinternet.uk/blog/fearless-guide-using-css-grid-today/

CSS: The Definitive Guide, 4th Edition Goes to Print

By Eric A. Meyer.

"Yesterday afternoon, CSS: The Definitive Guide, 4th Edition went to
the printers…"

http://meyerweb.com/eric/thoughts/2017/10/11/csstdg4e-goes-to-print/

+03: EVALUATION & TESTING.

How to Get Started With Usability Testing

By Paul Boag.

"Are you running regular usability testing? If you are not, know that
you are far from alone. Many people see it as a luxury that they
cannot afford. But it doesn't need to be that way. In fact, it can
help speed delivery and reduce costs…"

https://boagworld.com/usability/usability-testing/

Measuring Usability: From the SUS to the UMUX-Lite

By Jeff Sauro.

"…While some redundancy is good to improve reliability, shorter
questionnaires are preferred when time in a usability study is limited
or when a measure of usability is needed as part of a larger survey
(which may already be too long)…"

https://measuringu.com/umux-lite/

Usability Testing for Survey Research

By Emily Geisen and Jennifer Romano Bergstrom.

"This is a sample chapter from Emily Geisen and Jennifer Romano
Bergstrom's new book Usability Testing for Survey Research…"

https://www.uxmatters.com/mt/archives/2017/10/
usability-testing-for-survey-research.php

+04: EVENTS.

NationJS
November 30-December 1, 2017.
Washington D.C., U.S.A.
http://nationjs.com/

Las Vegas UX Conference
December 2-8, 2017.
Las Vegas, Nevada, U.S.A.
https://www.nngroup.com/training/las-vegas/

+05: JAVASCRIPT.

JavaScript Functions That Define and Rewrite Themselves

By Darren Jones.

"The following is a short extract from our new book, JavaScript:
Novice to Ninja, 2nd Edition, written by Darren Jones…"

https://www.sitepoint.com/
javascript-functions-that-define-and-rewrite-themselves/

+06: MISCELLANEOUS.

13 Things You Should Give Up If You Want To Be a Successful UX Designer

By Guy Ligertwood.

"Cut out the things that are holding you back…"

https://uxplanet.org/12-things-you-should-
give-up-if-you-want-to-be-a-successful-ux-designer-f5bc8581a848

Fundamentals of Responsive Images

By Marc Drummond.

"…The payoff for this effort is that your images look nice and crisp
at all viewport sizes, while still downloading efficiently. No more
super slow mobile sites that take forever to load images! That makes a
huge difference for those visiting your site. Downloading image files
tends to be a big chunk of the work that browsers do when visiting a
new site. Speed that up and everybody wins."

https://www.lullabot.com/articles/fundamentals-of-responsive-images

+07: TOOLS.

userpoll.io

By Peter Krantz.

"Find out what users think about your system. The system usability
survey gives you rapid feedback on the overall usability of your
application. No signup required…"

http://www.userpoll.io/

+08: USABILITY.

Plain Language Is for Everyone, Even Experts

By Hoa Loranger.

"Professionals want clear, concise information devoid of unnecessary
jargon or complex terms. Plain language benefits both consumers and
organizations."

https://www.nngroup.com/articles/plain-language-experts/

Why the Email Confirmation Field Must Die

By UX Movement.

"If you want to increase correct email submissions, you need to
redesign your email field…"

http://uxmovement.com/forms/why-the-email-confirmation-field-must-die/

UX Without Users Isn't UX (Video)

By Hoa Loranger.

Many organizations claim to be user-centric. Yet they fail to include
users in the development process. Without customer input,
organizations risk creating bad interfaces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3Yk8JQFgvM

Mobile UX Isn't Just About Breakpoints

By Thomas Fogarasy.

"…Responsive design, therefore, should not be used for its own sake,
or because it's the modern way of creating interfaces. Before jumping
into it's toolset, and starting to rearrange boxes, clear goals should
be set based on how, where, and why people will eventually interact
with the product you design."

https://uxdesign.cc/mobile-ux-isnt-just-about-breakpoints-931317ffb4

UX Lessons I Wish I Learned in School

By Hoa Loranger.

"Novice UX practitioners often start with the wrong mindset. Know the
common mistakes and how to avoid them."

https://www.nngroup.com/articles/ux-lessons/

18 Practical Websites Homepage Design Tips and Excellent Examples

By Trista.

"Wikipedia defines a homepage as the initial or main web page of a
website or a browser…"

https://www.mockplus.com/blog/post/homepage-design-tips/

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation & Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites & Blogs Listing.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines.  Please let me

http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson