[webdev] Web Design Update: October 19, 2017

[webdev] Web Design Update: October 19, 2017

David Dillard
Administrator

.

.

Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2017 06:39:08 -0500
From: Laura Carlson <[hidden email]>
To: webdev <[hidden email]>
Subject: [webdev] Web Design Update: October 19, 2017

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.

- Volume 16, Issue 17, October 19, 2017.

design and development.

++ISSUE 17 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.

New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.

02: BOOKS.

03: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

04: DRUPAL.

05: EVALUATION & TESTING.

06: EVENTS.

07: HTML.

08: JAVASCRIPT.

09: NAVIGATION.

10: TOOLS.

11: TYPOGRAPHY.

12: USABILITY.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

Alt-Texts: The Ultimate Guide

By Daniel Göransson.

"This post contains everything you need to know about alt-texts…"

https://axesslab.com/alt-texts/

Usability and Accessibility

The new WCAG 2.1 and Nielsen's 10 Usability Heuristics

By Erin Marchak.

"With this focus on usability, I found that the majority of the WCAG
2.1 success criteria fit into Nielsen's 10 Usability Heuristics…"

https://medium.com/@myplanet/usability-and-accessibility-213c3185314f

Get Started with Web Accessibility

By Laura Kalbag.

"What is web accessibility? We explain accessible web design
principles, and share top tips and resources for getting started…"

http://www.creativebloq.com/advice/get-started-with-web-accessibility

The Secrets Behind UW's Successful Accessibility Initiative

By Sofia Enamorado.

"Since 1984, the University of Washington's (UW'S) accessibility task
force has been working closely with departments and their faculty to
educate and incorporate tools to facilitate classroom accessibility…"

http://www.3playmedia.com/2017/10/11/secrets-behind-uws-successful-accessibility-initiative/

Roll Up Your Sleeves! Why Accessibility in Higher Ed Needs All Hands On-Deck

By Rick Johnson.

"Fundamentally, delivering an accessible platform is not about
checking a box and saying, 'It's done.' Why accessibility is
never-ending and needs IT and vendor input…"

https://www.ecampusnews.com/ed-tech-leadership/accessibility-higher-ed-hands-deck/

Up Your Writing with Plain Language

By Ashley Bischoff.

Slides from Ashley's Fronteers conference presentation.

http://www.handcoding.com/presentations/plainwriting/#cover

The Confusing Path of Accessibility

By Kim Krause Berg.

"Accessibility for websites, apps and the software that creates them
is a specialty that's ignored until there's a fire and suddenly,
companies plead for help…"

https://searchnewscentral.com/blog/2017/10/18/the-confusing-path-of-accessibility/

Nine Credit Unions Sued Over Website Accessibility, States Credit Union Times

By Tina Orem.

"The complaints, all of which were filed in District Courts in
Virginia by the same two law firms on behalf of the same plaintiff…"

http://www.cutimes.com/2017/10/05/nine-credit-unions-hit-with-ada-suits-over-website

Spate of Web-Accessibility Suits Filed in New York

By Lindsay McKenzie.

"Eight colleges have been sued in federal court in New York in the
last two weeks for having websites that, the suits claim, are
inaccessible to people with disabilities, The New York Times reported
Wednesday…"

https://www.insidehighered.com/quicktakes/2017/10/12/spate-web-accessibility-suits-filed-new-york

+02: BOOKS.

Hamraie, Aimi. Building Access: Universal Design and the Politics of
Disability 1st Edition, University of Minnesota Press, 2017.

+03: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Naming Things In CSS Grid Layout

By Rachel Andrew.

"…In this article, I'll take an in-depth look at the various ways to
name lines and areas in CSS Grid Layout, and some of the interesting
possibilities this creates…"

https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2017/10/naming-things-css-grid-layout/

8-Point Grid: Vertical Rhythm

By Elliot Dahl.

"…This post is about how to establish vertical rhythm and set
typography in an 8pt grid system. To get caught up, check out The
Intro to 8-Point Grid Systems and get tricky with 8-Point Grid:
Borders and Layouts…"

https://builttoadapt.io/8-point-grid-vertical-rhythm-90d05ad95032

Component Variants with Scoped CSS Variables

By Jonathan Harrell.

"Scoped CSS variables provide an incredibly easy and clean way to
create variants of common interface components like buttons…"

https://jonathan-harrell.com/component-variants-scoped-css-variables/

The Ultimate Guide to Flexbox - Learning Through Examples

By Ohans Emmanuel.

"What's the best way to understand Flexbox? Learn the fundamentals,
then build lots of stuff. And that's exactly what we're going to do in
this article…"

https://medium.freecodecamp.org/the-ultimate-guide-to-flexbox-learning-through-examples-8c90248d4676

+04: DRUPAL.

Highlights from Drupalcon Vienna

By Mikke Schirén.

"So last week we went with a big crowd (16 of us) from Digitalist to
Drupalcon in Vienna to join the about 2000 other attendees. We went to
sessions and BOF:s about caching in Drupal 8, Symfony components in
Drupal core, Docker, Config split, Decoupled Drupal, Multi-sites in
Drupal 8 and a lot of other things…"

https://digitalist.se/highlights-drupalcon-vienna

Drupal Usability Meeting (Video)

By Gábor Hojtsy.

"The October 10 meeting covers decoupled core UI, admin redesign
discussion, and field cloning…"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJ9QMjX2PWI

+05: EVALUATION & TESTING.

Don't Let Your Brain Deceive You: Avoiding Bias In Your UX Feedback

By Hunter Jensen.

"You know that user feedback is crucial - after all, your users will
decide whether your app succeeds or not - but how do you know whether
users are being fair and objective in their feedback?…"

https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2017/10/avoid-bias-ux-feedback/

6 Practical Tips for Testing Prototypes

By Jeff Sauro.

"Prototypes are an effective method for incorporating early and
frequent user feedback into the design process…"

https://measuringu.com/prototype-testing/

Storing and Sharing User Research

By Katy Arnold.

"At the Home Office we believe our user research is valuable and
should be used to inform decision making at all levels.…"

https://hodigital.blog.gov.uk/2017/10/13/storing-and-sharing-user-research/

+06: EVENTS.

DesignOps Summit
November 6-8, 2017.
New York, New York, U.S.A.
http://designopssummit.com/

World Usability Day at the University of Minnesota
Inclusion through User Experience
November 9, 2017.
Minneapolis, Minnesota, U.S.A.
https://it.umn.edu/world-usability-day-2017

Introduction to Mobile Web Accessibility Testing & Development
November 9, 2017.
Austin, Texas, U.S.A.
https://www.microassist.com/instructor-led-training/introduction-mobile-web-accessibility-testing-development/

HalfStack 2017
November 17, 2017.
London, England, United Kingdom
http://halfstackconf.com/

+07: HTML.

HTML Quick-Start Guide for an Accessible Website

By Sawsan.

"You want to be accessible friendly but don't know where to start?
Here a small selection of guidelines and good links to help you make
your first steps into web accessibility…"

https://medium.com/@saawsan/html-quick-start-guide-for-an-accessible-website-19c064ff5849

You Can get Pretty Far in Making a Slider with Just HTML and CSS

By Chris Coyier.

"A 'slider, as in, a bunch of boxes set in a row that you can navigate between…"

https://css-tricks.com/can-get-pretty-far-making-slider-just-html-css/

+08: JAVASCRIPT.

Testing Shadow DOM with aXe Coconut (Video)

By Rob Dodson.

"Today we're going to look at aXe Coconut, the leading edge of the aXe
developer toolchain. You can think of aXe Coconut kind of like Chrome
Canary or Firefox Nightly. It's a preview channel for developers to
test out new versions of the library and offer feedback before they
hit the stable version. One of the coolest features in the latest
version of aXe Coconut is the ability to inspect Shadow DOM! This is
huge for anyone doing Web Component accessibility testing. Today we'll
walk through inspecting a media player created with Shadow DOM and
show off some of the new audits made possible by aXe Coconut…"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uyQdC3LqLo

+09: NAVIGATION.

How to Use Breadcrumb Navigation in 2017

By Alan Smith.

"…Let us explore the evolving role of breadcrumbs, how they impact
search engine optimisation (SEO) and UX design when you should avoid
them, and how site owners can keep their breadcrumb acumen fresh into
the future…"

https://usabilitygeek.com/how-to-use-breadcrumb-navigation-2017/

+10: TOOLS.

Web Accessibility Testing Tools Recommended by Colleges and Universities

By Vance Bell.

"…With the Section 508 refresh requirements published in January 2017
going into effect January 2018, I was curious what accessibility tools
higher education was placing in the hands of content creators…"

https://vancebell.com/blog/web-accessibility-testing-tools-recommended-by-colleges-and-universities/

+11: TYPOGRAPHY.

Web Typography: Numerals

By Richard Rutter.

"In this excerpt from Chapter 2 of Richard Rutter's Web Typography, he
explains the importance of proper numeral usage in our work, including
when you should and shouldn't use 'old-style' numerals."

https://alistapart.com/article/web-typography-numerals

+12: USABILITY.

Response to Criticisms of Flat-Design Eyetracking Study

By Kate Meyer.

"We discuss the objections raised to our study of user gaze patterns
on weak and strong signifier UIs."

https://www.nngroup.com/articles/response-criticisms-flat-design/

We Can Do Better on Mobile: Designing for the Medium

By Amy Schade.

"Mobile designs need to do more than shrink a desktop experience to a
smaller screen: they must create innovative, integrated and enhanced
experiences."

https://www.nngroup.com/articles/better-mobile/

The Cult of Conversational Design and Why Forms Aren't Dead Yet

By ShekMan Tang.

"Everywhere we looked, conversational UIs were breaking out of
messaging apps and into the products we use every day, from shoe
shopping to cosmetics and everything in between…"

https://blog.intercom.com/why-forms-arent-dead-yet/

Design for How People Think (Video)

By Don Norman.

"Design for how people are, not what you want them to be…"

https://www.nngroup.com/videos/design-how-people-think/

From Building Trust to Building Use

By Gerry McGovern.

"The world is facing a crisis in traditional trust. And that's a good
thing. Traditional trust has facilitated a type of god-like leadership
and management model based on hierarchy and ego…"

http://gerrymcgovern.com/building-use-from-building-trust/

7 Product Page UX Implementations that Make REI Best-in-Class

By Edward Scott.

"After benchmarking 60 major e-commerce sites on Product Page UX
performance, and analyzing the 5,880 manually reviewed UX parameters,
we find that…"

https://baymard.com/blog/rei-product-page-ux

Principle of Least Astonishment

By Wikipedia.

"…A typical formulation of the principle, from 1984, is: 'If a
necessary feature has a high astonishment factor, it may be necessary
to redesign the feature'."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle_of_least_astonishment

100 UX Design Quotes to Inspire and Motivate You

By Kristina Guzikova.

"…We've put together a compilation of 100 inspiring, tweetable quotes
from some of our favorite influencers and experts in the UX community-
even including some from before the term 'UX' had been coined…"

https://www.intechnic.com/blog/100-ux-design-quotes-to-inspire-and-motivate-you/

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation & Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites & Blogs Listing.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines.  Please let me

http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson